Saturday, November 19, 2011

Brian's Pumpkins

We didn't grow any pumpkins last year and it kinda bummed me out.  This year I told Brian I wanted to grow pumpkins again.  I didn't care what kind or how many, just as long as we had some.  The leaves of the plants are huge, the blossoms are gorgeous, and when the fruit starts to grow I get a bubble of excitement inside me like a little kid!  
Brian was the main garden person this year, and I did what I could to help him with his plans.  He also found a few blogs from people who have the same goals we do - to be as self sufficient as possible.  It takes time, but we are figuring out what is working and what isn't.  Example:  Potatoes!  We have planted a lot over the past few years but harvested only a few.  We have decided potatoes don't like our soil so we will just get them from someone who has Tater Happy Soil.  

Brian decided if we were going to grow pumpkins, he was going to do it big!  He ordered some of the Atlantic Giants.  We didn't get any 1000 pound pumpkins this year, but we did get him one that won him a prize on one of the blogs he follows!  He was pretty excited about it and I was proud of him.  :-)

Here is Brian and his (OUR) pumpkins. 







We are going to try again next year and try to figure out what the soil needs so they grow bigger.  We did have a very dry summer so he thinks that played a roll in it.  We only got a few but we are still happy about it.  
Until later....Karen and Tripp who doesn't get it....

No comments: