Sunday, August 5, 2018

Vacation Day Bike Ride to Boonville AND longest ride for me so far!



I took a vacation day Friday to do whatever I wanted...and I wanted to ride my bike.  No time limits, no schedules, just me and the bike checking out fun stuff with new eyes.

First let me say how blessed I have been....I have got to drive and ride in a vehicle and have seen some neat stuff!  I have ridden my horses different places and have seen some neat stuff...but different.  Everything is different from the back of a horse.  I rode a motorcycle for a few years and it was the same thing...I saw some neat stuff...but different.  And now I am riding a bicycle and I marvel at the things I see with new eyes!  And riding a bike is just like the other stuff....I can make a short distance last all day because I love to take time to look at the small things. 

So what is the first thing I show in the pictures...not small things!  Ha!  The Bluffs....I LOVE THE BLUFFS!




One of the small bridges I crossed over had several turtles basking in the sun on logs.  They are smart turtles!  They hear the 'thump thump thump' of the bike rolling over the boards then see the shadow hit the water as I lean over.  SPLASH!  In the water they go....except for this big guy!  The one on the log on the left stayed there....you can see one of the others floating to the right.





Then a gar (fish) swam by as I was watching the other turtles....I counted 9 turtles floating around waiting for me to leave...but only got pictures of a couple.






I am at 22.45 miles and not quite half way there.  No worries....I will sit and rest a while.  It was hot but there was shade and a breeze right here...



Relax a little bit this way....


.....and a little bit that way.....


.....checking out my cute socks.....




I topped off my water bottle at the New Franklin trail head and I put flavor in the water.  The water is not cold - I don't like uncold water in plastic - so the flavor helps me drink more.  This is Berry Blast by Mio.  It has electrolytes and B vitamins.  Good stuff!
 


I am trying to learn to eat better on longer rides.  You would think this would be simple....eat and drink a lot, right?  The last 50 mile ride I did I felt horrible afterwards....so shaky and just bad.  I went to Gears & Beers happy hour at CycleX this week and one of the presentations was nutrition and hydration on the trail.  I took those tips and hints with me on this ride and it did wonders!  I had these (oh so yummy!) and I also brought some chewy things with sugar in them.  I alternated between the two and tried to remember to drink more than I thought I needed to.  Success!  By the end of the ride I felt great (except for the chaffing).






Almost to the half way mark...and made a quick stop at the Santa Fe Trail sign.  I rode up the sidewalk to read some of the other stuff.  Wow, we sure are spoiled compared to what they all lived like a long time ago!






LUNCH IN BOONVILLE!!!!  I was hungry!  Burger and Fries with some unsweet tea.  They are so awesome here!  They also filled my water bottles with ice and topped them off with water.  They said they get a lot of cyclists in and do it all the time.  I am telling ya, there is nothing like ice water in those bottles on a hot sunny wonderful day!



There is a bike rack around the corner of the building...and a neat mural!  Now that I am looking at it I realize I didn't get the whole thing.  Hmmmmm....just might have to go back again!  ;-)




I have never ridden a bike to the Boonville Railroad bridge...until now!  I have only seen it from a vehicle.  I was on my own time schedule so why not take the time to check it out?  I am so glad I did!  Wow, what a neat piece of history!  This bridge was almost no more....I am so glad it is still here and there is a path to walk part way over.  The construction is very impressive!









Playing with photo filters on the phone....there is a curved viewing area on each side of the walk way looking out over the river. 




This is as far as you can go...I am sure many bikes have had their picture taken here.  :-)




As far as we can go...a close up...looking across.....it is amazing trains went across here!






These train tracks go the other direction...I have always wanted to jump a train!  I hear it is a little bit illegal...I have an attorney on speed dial just in case (I used to work for him).  :-)




Time to head back....there is a good part of the trail that is not shaded but no worries...I had a nice head wind along this section.  It sure beats no air movement!

 



When I got to the old elevator I know I was getting close...





These guys left from Clinton, Mo earlier in the day and they are headed to Columbia.  They had a nice long ride!  The plan is to make it to the end of the Katy within 2-3 days.  Hope they made it!  One of the guys made his longest ride a few days before this...I am not remembering but it was under 20 miles! 





 So I am getting closer and closer....it is hot, I am tired, did I say it is hot?  I am getting close to Rocheport and am so excited I made it!  This is me all excited about it!




Then I realized I parked in Rocheport LAST weekend!  THIS morning I parked at Scott Blvd. in Columbia!  Another 12 miles to go...which doesn't sound that far but I had some chaffing going on that makes 12 feet feel far!  Ha!




I am pedaling along, I have shade and a breeze, and who do I see on the trail?  BRIAN!  He is on call for work so parked in McBaine, which is fairly close to where he found me.  We rode back to McBaine together and I headed back to complete my ride to Scott Blvd.  Oh, it was tempting to have him load the bike up...but I really wanted to make this my longest ride - and I did!  55 miles!




It was such a great day...just me and my bike.  I went as fast or as slow as I wanted, I slowed down enough to look at cool stuff, I had time to think about the Katy and what it was like when the train was still running through here.  And the settlers from way back....making their way across this country in wagons with horses and oxen and whatever else they could bring with them.  Wow!  They were some tough people!

Until later...Karen and Tripp who had a talk with me tonight, letting me know that yes, he is a mustang and they traveled long distances back in the day when he was younger...but he is over it and totally okay with me going on these adventures!  ;-)


No comments: