Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Funky Town in Kansas City, MO

We were invited to a party in K.C. - it was located at a place I have never heard of, but many others have.  It is called Funky Town.  It is very Retro, and the age groups of the people there were young all the way up to Gramps and Gramps ages.  And to make it even better, everyone was out dancing and having a good time.  It was Jay's birthday party....Jay is the one with Levi, the formerly blind horse who can see now.....we had a 60's theme so our group was tye-dye and hippies.  When Brian and I arrived we got in line behind a bunch of young people who got off a bus, and they were all dressed trendy 80's.  As in Cyndi Lauper hair on the side of the head, short skirts with crazy tights...oh yeah, they were ready for some fun!  It is a very fun place, very unique, and I really recommend it if you are looking for something different and fun.

One of the rooms had these neat trees...it was almost like a fairy land.  Lots of great neon colors in this place.  I loved the daisys in the leaves and the branches as hands holding the light balls.



These are some of the things that were attached to a trellace...


Beth, a member of our mustang group, and I by the trellace, and the room behind us is the one with the neat trees holding the light balls.


Jay and his wonderful wife Brenda, who ramrodded this whole thing.  They are a great couple!


 Brian and his great glasses....these glasses were a hit with the theme!


The dance floor is good sized, and there are small t.v.'s hanging from the ceiling, with a big screen on the other side.  They play old music videos.  I did not watch a lot of videos when I was a kid...I do remember Friday night videos, but by the time I got home from work they were playing the hard rock hair band videos.  There were some videos that made me look at Brian and say "Did people think these were good way back then?" and he told me "No."  Whew....they were bad!  But the music was great!  I am so glad I don't have the videos stuck in my head now...


These are neon lights in the floor right before you go onto the dance floor.  


 And these are the neon flowers at the end of the Funky Town sign on the floor.


The little buildings painted on the wall are not actually painted ON the wall.  When they first started the music and were playing Funky Town, the buildings sway to the music!  So cool! 

 
Linda and Glenn from the mustang club showed up.  We had no idea who was going to be there so it was a nice surprise seeing them.



Glenn pulled out his headband....we joked about Linda being there with Willie Nelson.  Glenn is showing Willie from his better looking days...


LOOK!  It is a Mystery Girl with Brian!  Check out Brian's peace sign necklace.  :-)


The place is decorated real neat - check out the Monopoly game on the wall.


I got myself a Peace Purse...this is how it looked under the black lights.  I have really come to like my Peace Purse.  More people need one.  :-)


It is hard to see, but the neon sign across the room says Stairway to Heaven Cafe, and the stairs take you to the balcony above, and there are clouds painted on the wall.


We had to leave early since we had a 2 hr drive back, but it was worth it.   It is not something we do a lot so it was a nice change of pace.  We talked to a lot of people waiting in line to get in, and most of them were regulars.  I told Brian if we lived closer, I could grow old there.  Ha ha!

Until later...Karen and Tripp who thinks he would have fit right in with all the funky lights...you know, since his name is Tripp...

2 comments:

Michelle said...

How cool is that place!

Angela said...

AWWW, can't believe I was stuck elsewhere :(

Great pics and love the blog update!