Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fun Afternoon with Boom and other stuff.....

This is the 2nd day I left work early to work with Boom then occupy myself in between.....I could get used to this part time schedule in the Summer.  Not so much in the winter....I would want to hibernate all day when it is cold out.  :-)  I also told Brian if I worked part time, I would be obligated to clean the house....oops, sorry, doesn't work for me.  Hee hee!  Besides, part time would not feed all the critters...so I will work my 1/2 days the next week and enjoy them....

After working with Boom the first time I headed back out to the barn, and this heron was on the small pond bank with his/her wings opened up.  Cooling off maybe?  I tried to sneak up on it to get a better look since I did not have my glasses on or contacts in....but somehow it knew I was there.  :-)



Batman...an advantage to being a shorty is you and only you can fit under the deck, so whatever plants are under there are YOURS! 


I trimmed Tripp's hooves today to get ready for a trail ride this weekend, and using my ACTHA bucks, I got a pair of Cavallo boots.  Up to this point I had not tried any boots on him.  Since I had the 'bucks' I thought why not?  I got these sport kind since his hooves are narrower than the length from heel to toe.  I think they are chunky and even tho the hoof seems to fit okay, the little straps don't pull tight.  Thank goodness for strong velcro to hold them on.  I am going to have a friend look at them to double check the fit.  Either way, they will be good for emergencies.
Poor Tripp, when I first put them on he was walking like a Big Lick TWH without all the crap they put on them!  Thankfully 4 strides later he mellowed out a bit.  Then his back hooves were hitting them at times and I have to remember there is quite a bit extra back there plus he was trying to get used to them.  Will let you know what I think about them at a later date.  I still wonder if the other style will work...they come in colors.  :-)





This picture was awesome in real life....it is yesterday morning and Boom was standing at his gate with the barn light casting this light glow on him.  I had to lighten up the photo so you could see him and it really doesn't do the vision I have in my head justice, but it is still cool....we have corrugated clear panels on the door of the barn.


Doesn't that look like a happy llama?  No you say?  Well you are right!
But too bad for the llama, Boom was interested in checking him out and whatever Boom wants in the line of curiosity, Boom gets, ........


Chase is giving us the 'look'......



Then PTOOEY!!!!!!!  Chase spit on Boom!  Luckily it was mostly grass.....
Look at the expression on Booms face!  HA HA HA!!!  It is like he is saying "Yeah, look at this!  Can you believe it?"  or "Yeah, there were 10 of them!"  HA HA! 



Forward motion has been rough the past couple of days, so today I worked him less on the ground and got in the saddle quicker thinking that might help - and it did.  So we did our pen work, then I brought him out to the yard and I got on him at his mini obstacle course.  It was new so he was a little on edge, but we did it.  Then I thought we needed a change of scenery....so we took a walk down the road. 


The gravel in the road really had his attention....he would sniff and move the stuff around....I wish I knew what he was thinking.  Oh, it is probably simple....looking for food.  Ha ha! 



We took a break at a neighbors driveway.  Not one car came down the road while we were out.  I was hoping for something...anything....



Something caught his attention in this pasture.....
He was checking out the world with new eyes...it was fun watching him.  The only thing that scared him was a mail box.  I think he was snoozing as we were walking back because when we got right next to it it was like he realized it was there then he literally jumped to the middle of the road!  I made a mental note to myself "Whew, glad I was not on him at that moment", then walked him in a couple of big circles and figure 8's then walked by it again.  He kept his eye on it then finally sniffed it.


He had a break in the yard munching grass, then I saddled him up for round 2.  I stood him on the bridge while I saddled him.  I had to get this before he realized I moved back.  He isn't good with the 'stay' command yet. 




Round 2 was good.  I put a couple of barrels in the pen so we have new scenery.  I do think he is getting bored and I am trying to find things to make it interesting, but until we get the 'go' cue down, and until we start steering better, we are stuck here.  I will get on him in the yard again today to see how he does.

Gotta go out to feed now.....
Have a great day everyone!

Until later....Karen and Tripp who has new boots, and isn't sure how he feels about it....

No comments: