Monday, October 20, 2008

Back from Baton Rouge, LA....

No sooner did I get home from the EMM, I turned around and headed to Baton Rouge, LA for 3 weeks for work. It is called 'storm duty' and I love it! Not only are they 7 day work weeks, they are long days. Lots of overtime to be had, and we are so busy, the 12 hr days just fly by. It also exposes us to a different part of the insurance claims world that we normally don't get to see. This time was not near as bad as the hurricanes 3 years ago.

While I am gone on storm duty, I try to drive around a little bit to get my bearings, and to try to find a park to walk. I don't know what it is about this place, but I can never get my North's and South's straight.....couldn't last time I was there, and couldn't this time either. None of it feels right. I also don't normally stay away from bad traffic, but where we are was just nuts! Every block is full of something, our hotel was one of the worst for hearing the highway noise AlL NIGHT LONG, and I was ready for the country!

I got the map out and noticed that the river was not to far from the hotel, so I headed that direction. I found an old Ferry Crossing......and horses used it a long time ago.

There was a walkway and benches set up along the levee, and you could barely hear the highway noise. To me, it was heaven! The river was across from the city of Baton Rouge, and when the sun set behind me, it really would light up some of the buildings.

I stayed out here late one evening because I love lights - I was amazed at how much barge traffic was going on after dark. Yes, I stayed at the river's edge after dark - not the smartest thing to do, but I felt pretty comfortable. If I would have got bad vibes I would have left. Easy to say now, eh? :-)

I was taking pictures the first day there, and a little girl was following me around from a distance. I could hear her Grandma yelling at her to "Leave that girl alone!" and I just smiled to myself. I introduced myself, and she let me know her name was Karla. Karla wanted to take pictures too, so she got Gran's cell phone and was now a die hard photog! I got this shot of our shadows as we were both taking pictures of the city across the river.....

Sundays we went to the office later than the rest of the week, so a Saturday night 3 of us girls went down to New Orleans. It had been 20 plus years since I was there. The only difference is instead of Hurricane Huts, there were Daquiri Huts all over the place. Other than that, it all felt the same. There is always something interesting to see on Bourbon St., and this one cracked me up the most! 'She' was working the crowd, letting people take pictures with 'her' etc. We saw her all over the place and she was having fun! And talk about a nice strut when she walked! Wowee!

I got home a couple of days ago.....and it feels good to be here again. I got to reacquaint myself with Tripp, and that will be in the next entry. :-)

Until later.....Karen and Tripp

No comments: