Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Another snowy day...


I went out at 5:10 a.m. to feed critters and it was cloudy....

I went back out at 6:20 to let Tandee and the mini's out of the barn and this is what was on the front porch!  Everything was snow covered and Hemi was none too happy about it!




Self portait time....Red and I...



Brrrrr....it is cold and windy, so what better thing to do to prolong it than take another self portrait!  :-)




Misty the snow dog days "Woo hoo!"




Nakita the snow dog and Thomas the snow cat...




My artsy fartsy mind at work...it was so pretty out this morning!




Pumpkins and snow.....this is taken early in the morning...




This was taken the next morning...  :-)






Thomas the snow cat with the long bushy tail...





Tripplette says "Do I hafta go out there?"  Notice Red peeking thru the door wondering if it is safe to come in now.  (He is part of the clean up crew when Tandee is done eating...she is messy)





Wyoming and Batman on clean up duty...





Wyoming full of snow....









Wyoming's snowy mustang rump....






 There were four deer nibbling on a shrub...the fourth one went up behind the trees...





Saturday morning was so pretty!  Snowy ground and the sun was shining...


The bee hives are snow covered.  We got in the hives late Fall so we know there was some honey, but not knowing what the winter was going to bring, we left it all there for the bees to feed.  This spring we will for sure get a little bit out.  We also plan on putting up traps and hopefully we will capture a swarm for one of the empty hives. 





Tandee hanging out with the donks...





Joker the mustang with a snowy nose...




Misty loving the sunshine and the bed of snow...

I don't know if I have ever told the story of how we got Misty.  Brian and I went to Orscheln's for horse feed and Columbia Second Chance, a no kill facility, had some of their dogs there for adoption.  Misty was there and scared to death...she would not look at anybody.  I sat in the store on the floor with her on my lap for over an hour...and he just wouldn't respond.  It broke my heart she was so empty inside.  She was there because she had to be.  I asked Brian what he thought and he said "What is one more mouth to feed?"  We made arrangements for her foster family to bring her out so they could do their check on us.  They ended up leaving her with us.   It took her a few years to learn to be a dog.  I am serious, it was at least 3 yrs if not longer before I finally saw her wag her tail and make like she wanted to play with Snoop.  I was soooo happy!  Before that everything she did was about survival.  She acted more like a wolf than a dog...which was sad but also fascinating to me. 

We were told to lay her on her back on our lap to work with her...to earn her trust...etc.  You know what?  I tried it several nights in a row and I finally decided it was b.s.!  Not b.s. with all dogs, but b.s. with this one.  She needed to trust in her own time...not in my time.  And trying to make her relax while Brian held her....oh my gosh, if you were deathly afraid of a man, would you want to be held by one to get over your fear?  I think not.  So we quit doing that and let her take her time.  They are like horses....every one is very different and should be handled different.  And it is all a learning experience. 

Her story:  She was about 1 1/2 yrs old when we got her.  She was a puppy mill dog and the place was having an auction to sell everything off instead of signing the dogs over to the law.  The foster family saw her and even tho they are not supposed to 'buy' dogs for Columbia Second Chance, they could not let her stay there.  They won the bid on her.  She had to be shaved because she had mouse feces (a/k/a crap) embedded in her skin, and mice had made nests in her fur.  She was deathly afraid of men and was hesitant of women.  We don't know what was done to her while she was at the puppy mill place.  :-(

She is still very leary of men but will come up to Brian from behind and tap him on the rump with her nose when she doesn't think he is looking. Hee hee!  Brian lets her explore on her terms.   She will run and play with me and she adores Hemi.  She detests Nakita.  It was a long road and we really didn't know what to do at times, but it all worked out.  :-)  Patience and time...
 




Nevada coming to see if I have treats...he deserves one because it snowed.  Just ask him!  :-)






Stormy and the sun ....he is putting me under his spell...






Tripp with a frosty nose...what a handsome fellow!




Tripp hiding behind the pole...he actually kept peeking at me around the pole.  Joker just stood around eating snow.




Snow with a twig in the middle...I don't know why, but it made me smile.  :-)




Batman and Tripplette on the clean up crew...








Wy and Red wondering if I am coming out of the barn bearing gifts....if you look to the right side of the photo you can see a curly looking dark spot...that is the ear of Chase the llama...





And this is Chase wondering if he is being left out of the gift giving process!  He pins his ears and flattens the top of his eyelids when he is trying to make a point.  :-)  He doesn't scare me!  Ha ha!









The next several days are supposed to be cold, so the snow will stick around a while.  My plan was to go riding on New Years Day...it was beautiful!  But I have had this cold since Christmas day and Brian said that the fresh air would do me good, but 2 or 3 hrs of cold air hitting my lungs won't be good.  I have had a cruddy cough....geez....it really puts a damper on the fun stuff!

Anyways, the snow is still pretty and it will be here for a while.  Hopefully I heal quick and can get out for a ride! 

Until later....Karen and Tripp who doesn't think he should have to go anywhere in the snow. 

1 comment:

Clare Bray said...

Very nice blog you havve here