Sunday, February 10, 2013

Gotta go ride...


February 9, 2013

I was supposed to meet a couple of people to ride but they could not make it.  So we ran a couple errands before I headed out....

When we go anywhere that is going to be somewhat quick, Hemi gets to go along.  He rides in the back seat and every once in a while he will move himself up to the middle console to make like he can watch what is going by.





Self portrait time!





Brian surprised me when I got back from my ride.  I got an early Valentines Day present (he is smart...he knows not to do it on V-Day...I don't like calendar holidays that cause stress...and this one does for so many people).  He tied his first rope halter, and he knows one of my colors are the bright hunter orange, so he used the orange rope he had.  What a great surprise!





And to the trails I go...












I don't know if it is really happening, but it seems like the moss is getting brighter.





The breeze has been blowing the leaves over the trail...I love it like this!






There are parts of this hill that were washed out from the previous rain.






Where we were....




TRIPP:  "If a tree falls in the woods, and I am not there to witness it, did it really happen?"

GIRL:  "Tripp, I think it is more like this.  "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?""

TRIPP:  "That is what I said...wink wink..."





TRIPP:  "Oh!  I have always wanted to do something like this ever since I watched the Girl try to hold a full moon in her hands!  Look at me, I am sucking in wind and that green rock is coming to my mouth!  SNORT SNORT...I am so funny!"




We were moseying along when I heard a lot of laughter and hooting and hollering...then I saw hair flying as a couple riders went blasting down the trail I was just on.  I could not help but laugh too...they were having so much fun!  They were the two gals I met last weekend and are part of the local mounted shooting group.  When they made it back up the hill to where I was at, I saw they had their husbands with them.  I moved Tripp off the trail and we said our hello's as they went by.  Normally Tripp will watch with interest as horses come and go, and we never have any problem with him wanting to follow or keep up.  Until now.....he realized they were having more fun that he was!  Ha ha!  We followed them for a while at a pretty good clip then I got to wondering....does he even remember I am up here?  Will he listen to me?  To answer both questions:  1. Yes, he showed his annoyance at me when I asked him to slow down a bit.  2. No.  He did not think he had to listen.  So as bad as I wanted to keep following fast, I had to do a little bit of "HELLO!  I am here Tripp!"  There were also shooters at the shooting range and they traded out the .22 for something much bigger with a loud boom.  That got Tripp all in a dander too!  I have to admit, it was kinda fun!  :-)

Here are the riders going on their merry way...












The mounted shooting group were parked at this parking lot.  Tripp and I rode the small loop around and beside it, and he did much better.  He knew they were there and looked their direction, but he didn't try to go visit them again.  I love this big ol' tree that sits at the edge of it.






TRIPP:  "Okay Girl, line me up...yep, that is good.  Look everyone!  I am wearing a tree for a hat!  Nicker snort!"




The weather was great, we did quite a bit of trotting and cantering, and I kept reminding myself how blessed I am to have such a great horse and to live so close to a place like this.  I am also blessed to have a great husband who says "Go ride!" instead of "You going to ride AGAIN????"  :-)

One of the coolest things happened on this ride.  On the home stretch back to our parking lot, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye to the right.  I thought it might be squirrel.  They are very active and they can run fast and jump high and far.  I saw it again but it was no squirrel.  It was the tips of antlers!  We stopped and waited...I was so excited and hoped the buck would run in front of us.  HE DID!!!!  I don't think he knew we were there because he crossed pretty close to us.  Tripp watched him go...then we saw more movement to the right.  Two does were following the buck but they did see us.  They moved farther down the road/trail before they crossed.  My brain finally turned on and I grabbed my camera.  I did get a little bit of video of the does, but none of the buck.  Darn it!

Life is good....

Until later...Karen and Tripp who is still giddy because he got to run after a group of horses on the trail!  He never imagined how fun that might be!  :-)

No comments: