Friday, May 8, 2009

Another dry day...I took advantage of it!

We had a few dry evenings here, and I loved every minute of it! I spent time brushing off dried mud, working on the leading, picking up feet, etc. Here is my highlight. Both boys have been doing excellent with their front feet. Wyoming still has to find his balance, but I think that is just because he is nosey and pays attention to everything around him, and he forgets he is on 3 legs. He is still a youngster. I have been lifting them several times and cleaning them out. I am HOPING to be able to trim them soon as they are way too long! Now, the really cool part! I have been working on the back hooves of both, and I can lift them, but I don't lift them up far or move them around much. I have a lot of respect for those back hooves! I CLEANED REAR HOOVES ON BOTH BOYS!!! Woo hoo! Tiger was easier than Wy was. Wy was actually funny, when I would lift a back foot and try to get my grip to clean it, he would hike it up in the air like a dog visiting a fire hydrant. I wonder if it is because of his gelding wound still healing. We finally found a good spot that was comfortable for him, and I got his cleaned out too. Dang I was excited!

Tiger is still nervous about things being on his back, so I stuck with the bareback pad. I spent a lot of time throwing it around him, then put it on, did light ground work, patted it and made noise, then I let him loose in the pen to think about it. He would forget it was there and I walked over and patted it and made more noise. He tensed up but never took off.

Wyoming is ready for some fun. Brian says he is bored, and he probably is! That is why I want some dry ground. If I can't walk on this slick mud, I can't expect them to, and if I fall down under them, it could be bad.
Anyways, I walked up with one of the thin navajo pads and threw it on him, then I walked over with the saddle and threw it on him. Did not even let him smell it, just did it! He did not even flinch! I found a girth small enough that would work, so I tightened the front and rear up and we played with the ground work a while and flapped around those stirrups. I really wanted to get on soooooo bad, but I have to be patient. I don't know that he would have reacted much, but there was some dry mud spots and I did not want to take a chance on scaring him, and having him trip in that mud. Recipe for disaster in many ways, so we played it safe, I told him how handsome he was, and let him know we will be trying a couple of different saddles since this one is too wide for him. He is coming on 3, and is still very narrow bodied. I am thinking my Arab saddle might work.

I also have some video of Tiger and Wy playing, but need to get it put together. I just have not had time, and if I get started, I know I will be here all night playing with it. It is so much fun working on the video stuff...time just flies!

Okay, on to the pictures! These are not in any special order...I just imported them and where they are, is where they will stay.

I have been taking Tiger and Wy for walks outside of the pen, and I think they really enjoy it. Plus they know that grass is usually in their future after light work. By the way, the light work is giving them muscles.

Wy and I in the barn lot...



The boys were out of their pen playing, and when I threw hay to everyone, Tiger instantly went to it. Wy did not have time to go IN the pen, so he was taking it thru the panels. He is a busy boy you know...



Wy's head shot...



Wy wearing the saddle. I tried to get far away for a good shot, but he kept following me. :-D



Tiger and Wy wondering what I am up to now...



Tiger wearing his bareback pad...



Instead of letting the barn lot critters in the yard to eat grass, I let the outside bunch in the yard. I had some very ticked animals - check out the look on the llama's face! And he doesn't usually go out! I think he was mad because the girls were still there...



Tiger looking away from me...I just thought it was a beautiful picture...



Dust bath time! When I was watching them I did not realize the turkey was in the middle of the bunch...then she started to rise from the dust....



Chase is King of the Mountain!



That is all for now until I get some video done...
Until later...Karen and Tripp

No comments: