Friday, February 20, 2009

Rotten Sunflower Seeds & Time Zones

I headed to Lexington, KY for work - will be gone for 3 weeks. What is the worlds most favorite travel food? Sunflower seeds! And what can ruin a good run down the highway while munching yummy sunflower seeds? A rotten one! Ptooey! Blecht! I wonder why that rotten sunflower seed flavor lasts for miles....

When I got here I realized I crossed into the Eastern time zone. This is my issue with the Eastern time zone. My 7:00 p.m. hour is over and done with before your 7:00 p.m. hour! By 'your' I mean the Central and Pacific time zones. It makes me feel like I am missing out on something! I loved visiting my sister and brother-in-law in California! It was the Pacific time zone and when it was 5:00 p.m. out there, I knew it was 2 hrs later at home, and even later on the East coast! It made me feel like I was getting something extra!
I do realize that we all have 24 hrs in our day...and it is all in my head. I AM MENTAL! ACK! :-)

The past couple of nights in the hotel were not bad. I did not sleep the first night any more than a couple of hours, but I made up for it last night. Well, it is 10:36 here right now and there are kids running up and down the hall on the floor above me! Nice! I have to get up early again, and if they don't go to bed where they belong, I might have to take a short walk. What part of that is acceptable to parents? Am I missing something here?

The hotel is right next to the Red Mile, and my view is a small race track for trotters pulling the little carts, but they are not called carts. They are sulky's. One of the guys who just left said the past couple of weekends they had some kind of horse sales going on at the barns next door. I was so excited to get to hang out with a different kind of horse people - okay, mostly the horses. :-) Guess what is going on this weekend - so far NOTHING! I am here a couple of more weekends...maybe one of those will have something.

In the meantime I will be working a lot so won't get a whole lot of time to venture out.

That is all I know for now...
Until later...Karen and Tripp who is wondering where the heck I am! Who is going to spoil him like I do? Brian will try, but it won't be the same. :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stale sunflower seeds are no good either. The time zone, I am trying to think of words of wisdom to help you deal with the loss you feel. I thought I could point out you get a jump start on the day by hitting 7A before we do. But no, that just makes it sound like you are getting cheated out of sleep. So sorry I have found no bright side for the Eastern time zone. Maybe you will get to see some harness horses this weekend. Can you walk over there? At least you are close to a famous horse facility and only 2.5 weeks to go now.Wondering what computer you got to use, thank goodness for connections. Did the tots make it to bed before you had to walk up there? PS The donkey does have a pretty nice colorful do.

froglander said...

Huh, I thought I'd left a comment on this one :(

I've been to the Red Mile once, when I went to Lexington for a mini vacation by myself about 4 years ago. It was fun, I still have a ball cap I got there, it's my favorite hat.

If you get a chance to drive around in the daylight I remember finding a nice winding road that went past a number of horse farms. I love the green and the gently rolling hills and the nice fencing, and of course the horses :)

Hope they don't work you too hard!

Karen C. said...

Sunday's are supposed to be a 5:00 day, so I am going to try to make time to drive around. I am hoping that it clears up and there is sunshine. Tonite it is snowy - everything is covered! I did not know it snowed here!

So far I am not hearing any kids running around, so I am thinking they might be gone! Yay! I just might get some sleep tonite!

Anonymous said...

Yes it is me. Just be glad you are not in that hotel in August. The smell is a little bit different than I imagine it is now.

You have to think that you will gain an hour on the way back. You are coming back, right?

Go by the castle and on your way take the horse scenic parkway. It is out by Keeneland and the airport. Find some LB's. There are several there.

J-Corn

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Sorry I haven't stopped by in a while. Hang in there, looking forward to hearing more from you. I love the main picture of your page by the way. :)