Thursday, January 11, 2018

Brrrrr......last ride of 2017...


What the heck was I thinking?  I will tell you what!  I was thinking the sun is out and I want to ride on the last day of the year!  Of course it looked warm from inside the house...  I bundled up and Brian took me to Sturgeon.  That way I could practice on the streets and get some fresh air...nice fresh frozen air! 


BRRRRRR!!!!!!!!




Do I really want to do this?  Yes I do!

 


Here I go....heading into town....



Now I am in town....a couple people have driven by and did a double take.  
WHO IS THAT CRAZY PERSON ON A BIKE?  I BET SHE IS COLD!


I am in town and had to stop....my fingers were frozen and hurt so bad!  I took off my outer layer glove thinking maybe they were too snug with my fuzzy ones underneath....I was going to head back to my starting point and call it a day...I can do this!


I am almost back....waving and trying to look happy and NOT look like I have frozen fingers!  Did it work?  Ha ha!



Woo hoo!  I made it!  I was beginning to wonder, and why have I never noticed the road out of town is a slight uphill grade? 


We got some snow on December 24th....Mardi wanted his picture taken with the bike in the snow.  Isn't he cute?

Back to the ride...I survived!  I am so glad I did it...it was so much fun even with cold fingers!

The worst part was my frozen finger tips.  They are always very cold sensitive so I am not surprised they hurt as bad as they did.  I was just hoping they would be a normal cold.  I want to find some fabric and make pogies that will fit this bike.  A friend made me a pair for my Mountain Bike.  They are covers that go over the handle bars and there is plenty of room for your hands to slip in...you can shift and use the brakes with room to spare...they should block the wind and are water proof.  They do have bar mitts but I would rather make my own if I can.  If not - Bar Mitts it is! 
My toes were cold but not unbearably cold.  I will want shoe covers if I do this very often...and as of now I am thinking I would at least like it to be in the 20's.   
I was wearing a double layer of pants and my legs were cold but not unbearably cold. 
My torso was in four layers and I stayed very warm...even sweated.
My face....ugh!  I need to work on this...I don't like to cover it up because my frozen breath on the inside of the scarf grosses me out!  But the air was too cold to breathe normally....so I went back and forth.  On a while off a while.  I just feel claustrophobic and because my breath was freezing I couldn't get a deep breath...and like I said, it is gross!
I had a headband around my ears so they were fairly comfortable but the top of my head was cold.  I will need to get a thin hat to wear under my helmet.  Again....if I ride in the 20's it isn't that bad.

So there you have it....my last ride of 2017!

Here I come 2018!

 

No comments: