Sunday, January 7, 2018

I am 52...and took up bicycle riding!


NOTE:  Before anybody asks "Where is your helmet?" just know it finally shows up!  The first few rides IF I remembered, I would wear my horse riding helmet.  It is a Tipperary and yes, people looked...I know they were wishing they were as cool as me!  Ha ha!  They would look with interest...it was different.  It was very comfortable and light weight so once I got into the habit of grabbing a helmet that is the one that went with me until I got my bicycle helmet that was even lighter in weight and has more air flow.  So yes, a helmet while riding is now a habit.  Is it a guarantee that nothing bad will happen?  No.  But if I can lessen the chances by having it on...I am going to do it.  Okay, that takes care of that part of the story.  :-)
******************************************************************************** 

It was a couple of years ago when I got my used Mountain Bike.

Short Story version:  A Yahoo Group friend had been talking about bike riding and how much fun it was not to mention the health benefits.  After two years of listening to her fun stories and her weight loss/fitness successes I bought a used Mountain Bike.  The day I picked it up Brian's Dad got sick...so I did not ride my bike for almost a year.  It was a busy time for all of us.  Then I got time to ride my bike...and IT WAS FUN!!!!  That is the short version. 

Longer version....Brian and I went bike shopping...several times.  Let me start by saying that I had not ridden a bike in a very long time, so I really didn't know anything about them or about our local bike shops.  I have learned a lot since we started the search (and I am still learning!).
Anyways, I did not know if I would love bike riding so I wanted a cheap bike...but it had to be comfortable for my wrist (broken a couple years prior and it was healing from a fusion).  So we hit several Wal-Mart stores because nobody will ask if you need help...that gave me time to sit on several different bikes without being bugged.  And let me add that 99.9% of the bikes I sat on had flat tires! That was VERY annoying!  So all of my 'sitting' and not being able to actually pedal did nothing for me...oops, yes it did!  We had fun looking, talking about the different styles of bikes, and looking up more information!  :-) 
After a long time of 'looking' and 'sitting' a friend told me about Klunk in town. http://www.klunkcycles.com/   I was told they had used bikes come and go all the time, it was just a matter of being there when the right bike showed up.  We stopped by a couple times and they didn't have anything.....then one day.....do you hear the angels singing?  Yes, they had a used Diamondback Wildwood Mountain Bike.  They had me ride it around the parking lot - I was scared to death because I had not ridden in a long time and they were watching...eek! - and I knew instantly that it felt GREAT!  My wrist did not hurt at all!  So Brian and I went to lunch to talk about it...it was more than I wanted to spend but not expensive...I laugh about that now!  We went back and paid for it.  I have had no regrets and it has been worth every single penny! 

Like I said, I didn't get to ride it for almost a year because life happened and we were busy and doing a lot of driving back and forth to Brian's Dad's place and the hospital.  It sat in the kitchen and I looked at it a lot and sometimes sat on it. 

Then it happened....I had time to ride!  I rode around the yard a few times but wanted to go RIDE!  A REAL RIDE!  I loaded it up in the truck and headed to Rocheport to ride the Katy Trail.  I knew in order for me to want to do this more than once I needed to ride somewhere pretty...so I took the path along the river.  Smart move on my part....it was beautiful and I have not felt that free in a long time!  There is a certain freedom on the horses but this is a different kind of freedom.   

Here is how much fun it is to ride a bike!



Weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! 



After seeing how much fun I was having Brian got a bike.  We love riding together!


Me sporting my horse riding helmet by the river. 


I love bridges!  My bike soon realized that she would be in many self portraits and pictures on bridges....well, any pictures!  I love my bike and I love taking pictures!


 
The bluffs along the river are beautiful!  I forget how small I am in this big world until I stop to admire the size and beauty of something like this.


 With all of the 'modern improvements' in our country it is hard to picture the wild territory that Lewis and Clark explored.  Sometimes I think I could have handled it because I would not have known what a real hot shower with running water was....can't miss what you don't know.  


The river...the clouds...the breezes...pure beauty!






This tunnel runs the opposite direction that I first rode.  Brian and I always make time to ride through the tunnel...very neat and just fun!  Makes us feel like little kids!  :-)


Turtles on a long in the wetland area...







So, it isn't just the ride.  It is getting out, getting fresh air, getting the blood pumping knowing I am burning a calorie or two while having fun, it is seeing things we would not see in a car or on a horse (horses are not allowed on this part of the Katy Trail), it is the wildlife....

....it is feeling free!

So do I recommend this product to others?  YES YES YES!!!!  If biking is not your thing, find that 'thing' that makes you feel free.  You won't regret it!

Until later....Karen and Tripp who likes me riding something else for a change.  :-) 






No comments: