Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Monster Bike Bash - October 2017



Wow, this ride was all kinds of special!  In my first biking post I mentioned a Yahoo Group friend who talked about biking and how much fun it was.  After two years of reading her posts about how much fun she was having and how much better her health was is when I finally decided to get a bike!  We were internet friends for a long time...WE GOT TO MEET IN PERSON AT THIS RIDE!  AAAHHHH!!!!!  I was so excited!!!!



Meet my friend Marna! 



I just had to put the uncropped picture here too...check out the colors on this tree!  AAAHHHH!!!  So pretty!


Here is the whole family!  Deron - Marna - Me (yes, I am now family) - Deron's son Orion.  Their pup Teanna is in the crate and made the ride with us.  Everything was decorated and there were puppy treats for other dogs on the trail.  :-)  She is such a good girl!  Deron and Marna ride together a lot and I am serious...they know how to have fun!  A couple of Fat Bikes make up their bike family (left at home this trip) and now I am wanting one of those!  Ha!  They live in snow country so have the perfect playground for them!


Miss Teanna looking all cute!  She was such a good girl and thank goodness she had a coat!  It was cold and damp.   




Brian brought me in to town and helped me get webbed up.  He also wanted to meet my internet friends!  :-)
It was a little colder than what we thought it would be so I had to improvise.  My bendy spider made the trip on my helmet and a couple more medium size ones were hooked to the 'webbing' around my jacket.  We also threw on several smaller black plastic spiders....which is funny because spiders freak me out. 
I forgot my ear cover so a man we met in the parking lot let me use his extra one.  THANK YOU!  I got his address through Facebook after the event and mailed it back to him so he can save someone else on a cold blustery day!  :-)



My pirate friends who let me borrow the headband for my ears...  For some reason my best picture of them is them watching Deron unload a bike.  These two ride a lot and they ride all over the place!  I have met the best people out riding!  (bikes, horses and motorcycles) 



Thank you Kevin Dingman for taking pictures!  Selfies are great but capturing a moment like this is priceless!  I feel like Marna and I have been friends forever and have seen each other on a regular basis....but this is our first ride together!  Thank you Marna for letting our Yahoo group know how much fun cycling is!

Deron and Orion blazing the trail with little Teanna in her crate.  Deron was a beast pulling that trailer!  Orion had not ridden in a long time and came from out of town to ride with us.  I also want to thank CycleX.  Orion needed a bike so we headed over to CycleX and rented one that morning.  They also fixed something on Deron's bike so high five you guys!!!!  You helped make this a fun day for us!
https://cyclex.com/ 


Thank you Kevin Dingman for taking pictures along the route!  I love this one...you can see my helmet spider and the one hanging off my left shoulder.  HAPPY HAPPY!
(To see more pictures and video of this event check out https://www.facebook.com/events/1350453811720384/?active_tab=discussion)

There was a lot of fun stuff going on along the trail.  Some folks had a 'rest stop' with adult refreshments, there was music, and it was just FUN!


Here was some entertainment at a shelter along the trail.  He had a neat skeleton sitting on his shoulders.



Orion trying to stay warm while we stopped to listen to the one man band and check out his skeleton friend.  We also people watched...how can you not at the Monster Bike Bash?
By the way, when I first met Orion and saw he was wearing tie-dye I knew he was good people!  :-)



The next stop was in Huntsdale at The Station House at Katfish Katy's.  Even though it was cold the band was playing and everyone was having some food, drink, and a good time!
http://www.katfishkatys.com/


Next Stop:  Rocheport Oktoberfest Music Festival.  Woo hoo!  They had a stage set up with music scheduled all day and into the night, and a couple blow up things.  But at this point the best part was the fire pit!  While we were there only one fire pit was going...and a lot of people trying to scootch in to feel the warmth.





Even dragons think it is fun to photo bomb!  I knew I loved dragons for a reason....other than dragons are cool!  :-)
Check out the nurse behind me.
Me and the blow up guy behind me hovering next to the stage...


Me hanging out with the big blow up guy and some of my new closest friends.  :-)



This group was awesome!  Simply known as The Dorothy's.  Over the years they have dressed up with a Wizard of Oz theme....and yes, the high heels were worn while riding (Sunflower sugar mask girl).  The gal said it was not as bad as what you would think...I saw her on the trail and she was zooming right along! 

You never know what you will see while riding a bike! 


Deron holding a snuggled up Teanna.  She was watching all the silly people with interest.


Marna, Deron & Teanna, and Orion by the fire pit while listening to music. 

The plan was to do a round trip ride but it did not work out that way.  It was a cold day and I stayed warm enough.....and part of the time I felt like I was burning up.  I figured it was crazy lady hormones so didn't think anything about it....until we stopped.  I felt like my clothing was real damp - oh my gosh, can you say SOPPING WET?  Yes, my shirts were sopping wet.  I thought my jacket breathed because on cold windy days I can feel the wind through it....maybe it was not the wind....maybe the fabric was just cold feeling and I thought it was leaking wind.  HA HA!  I said "Leaking wind...."  :-)  Anyways, my coat did NOT breathe and since it was so cold when we stopped I got chilled.  Brian came to the rescue...he brought the truck to pick us up and took us back to town.

We got to listen to music, hang out by the fire ring, visit with some people I used to work with, people watched (cool costumes) and listened to more music. 

This really has been a fun bike year for me!  I have ventured out to do things I would never have done before...and ride a bike for several miles?  Ummm, no!  But now it is "HECK YEAH!!!!"  Even if it is too far and my legs are screaming at me.  I am loving it so much!

And to meet my internet friends for the first time....priceless!  In fact we are already planning to meet up this summer sometime to ride.  We will head their direction and when they come back to visit family we will meet up to ride here. 

Like all my rides so far I have learned a lot, and I like to mention a couple things.....
Making sure my clothing really does breathe and make sure I have a kit put together in each vehicle so I am ready for any weather that comes our way.

What I did right....I SHOWED UP AND RODE MY BIKE!  I talked to people (usually a loner) and I laughed a lot! 

Life is good....






No comments: