Sunday, January 7, 2018

Red Shoe Ride - 2017


Red Shoe Ride - 2017
Fundraiser for the Ronald McDonald House...I have volunteered at the Ronald McDonald House and loved it; I was very interested in this ride.
http://www.redshoeride.com/

I heard about the Red Shoe Ride...but was scared to sign up.  Yeah, scaredy cat again!  But I knew that I REALLY REALLY wanted to do this!  There was a 20 mile, 35 mile, and a 62 mile route.  I told myself I was going to prep for the 35 mile.  I knew I could do it if I just got my butt out there and rode!  Well, I procrastinated then MADE myself sign up for the 20 mile before I procrastinated again...I told myself it was to teach myself a lesson for not planning like I should have.  Ha ha!

I rode by myself most of the time.  At this point I had ridden with the Wednesday Women's Ride group once (that will be in another post) so other than these gals, I didn't know anybody to say "Hey, wanna ride 20 miles with me?"  I found out later they were all riding the 35 mile and was kicking myself!  Anyways, look out 20 miles here I come!  After all, that is only 10 miles twice...and I could do 10 miles!  ;-)

   
This picture was taken after I got back and I am still smiling!  I rented the bike from CycleX   https://cyclex.com/  in town because I was not sure how my knobby tires would be on the asphalt parts of the ride.  This is the bike I rode on my first night of Wednesday Women's Ride so I was comfortable with her.  Looking for a bike or help with anything biking?  Go visit the shop!  They are awesome!

I have been watching what I eat....let me reword that...I have been being more aware and choosey about what I am eating so have not had a Snickers in months!  The second to the last rest stop had these!!!!  The ones with different wording on them!  The first one I picked out of the box said 'Hot Mess'.  Yep, I was meant to eat this Snickers!  It was the best Snickers I had in a very long time!




Brian made it to town to see part of the ride...and he took pictures.  Zoom zoom!  Look at me riding off part of my Snickers! 


I rode the last part with this fellow.  He and his group were at the last rest stop and he said his wife and her friends ride faster than him....they were going to take off so he and I hung out.  I told him he could go...I just wanted to cross the highway with the group then I would be fine, but he stuck with me.  :-)  Look at us...riding on a two lane road with NO shoulder!  Yikes!  And I didn't even know Brian was in this parking lot getting pictures...how cool!  Thank you!!!


The 20 mile ride was part roads and part gravel trails through town.  Where there are trails there are usually bridges...

After riding the 20 mile ride I was so glad I did.  I think I got more road and trail scenery than the other ride and with my experience level, this was perfect! 

What I did right:
I SHOWED UP TO RIDE!  :-)
I took my time and rode my own ride.
I was scared but I didn't let it stop me.

What I need to work on:
Besides shifting...hee hee!
I need to work on not talking so much!  I saw people at the first rest top that I work with, so I stopped to chat, took pictures, hung out...then realized all the other riders were gone!  Even though I had a map I have never been on this trail so I felt rushed to take off and catch up to someone...anyone.  I didn't want to be close to them - I just wanted them in sight.

I am sure there are a lot of other things to work on and I did a lot of things right.  I am trying to pick a couple at a time as I write this.

It was a lot of fun and I will for sure do the 35 mile ride in 2018 (although I am having this secret conversation with myself about the 62 mile...will see if I am prepared for that one...)

I want to say thank you to all the volunteers who worked so hard to put this ride together!  Every single person from the ones who put the ride together, to the ones who kept track of entries to the folks who took care of us at the rest stops.  The rest stops all had a variety of cold drinks and munchies and they all made sure riders were okay.

This was my longest ride so far and it included some hills...I am proud of myself! 

Until later... 

 




No comments: