Sunday, April 5, 2009

Tiger's Weekend...

There are not as many pictures of Tiger because he was my first lesson of the day, and Brian and his kid were out turkey hunting (Youth season). He got pictures later....

Tiger is still very reactive and will take a lot of time, but he tries so hard to trust and not be afraid. I already see a lot of progress in him. Such as, at the end of the day both stangs were in their pen relaxing, and I walked back in and threw the saddle on Wy and let him walk around with it a while (no halter/lead) then I grabbed the blue pad and headed over to Tiger and he was not so sure about it at first, but he eventually let me touch him with it, and it was not long before I was rubbing it all over him. I could not have done that a couple of weeks ago without him blowing up.

Here is Tiger looking all handsome...he just can't help it!



We have been working on lifting feet, and him letting me lift the foot more than once without the halter was big for him. I was a proud Mom.



CHASE THE LLAMA SAYS: "EW, LOOK AT HER HUGGING TIGER! SHE IS SUCH A GIRL!"



Do you remember those days as a kid, where you caught your horse in the middle of the pasture in a nice sunny day and you climbed on, then layed back on them while they grazed? You could feel the warmth of the sun on your face, and also on your back where the horses coat had been warmed earlier...this moment was pretty darn close to that! He was so warm and he just stood there...



I still want to see if my big saddle fits him, but he isn't ready yet, and I need to be patient. I will know when it is time to push him out of his comfort zone a little, and he will let me know it is okay.
He does amaze me with how quickly I can get his attention and how he will zone in on me. I put the halter on him and looped the lead rope over his back. He started moving around and the rope dropped...he took off when it hit his back legs. I thought he was taking off because I was kicking the balls around, but he did not slow down. He blasted around that pen and I realized it was the lead rope - so I stepped towards him (not in front) and called his name loud and said "WHOA". He turned to face me, came up to me but was rocking back and forth. He wanted to run so bad, but he wanted to please me too. Slowly I slid the lead rope off his back, I loved on him, walked him around, and I started flipping that thing all over the place. He needs to get used to it...and he will. In time. Just like people, they learn at different paces, and some of us have to learn how to teach in different ways.

Goodnight.....
Until later...Karen and Tripp

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the sunset picture, it really enhanced their colors. I think Tiger resembles a quarter horse. And I thought Wy looked superb in English tack, he resembled a warmblood. What kind of noise does a llama make? Have you ever seen him spit, which I have heard they do, is it true? He is really cute too. How is Millie with spring in the air?

Jill said...

I did not mean to be Anonymous